Wednesday, October 10, 2007

what's happening to me?

"And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill"
- Little Feat - Old Folks Boogie

The wife and I went shopping last night. She wanted a new lunchbox for work, and I agreed to go along, so we went to the outlet mall. The store she wanted to go to was no longer there, so we walked around looking for any place that might sell small lunchbox-type stuff. I got to a cookie store...with huge delicious looking cookies. Back in the day, I could devour a dozen without blinking...and not gain a pound. Lately, in my couch potato phase, I've tried to back off because one bite of a cookie could send me promptly to obesity. Last night though, I looked at them, and thought...I'm exercising a lot. Why not. They were 'buy 3, get the fourth free', so I got 2 that I liked and two the youngster would like. The wife declined. She was on her way to some gourmet cooking store, still hoping to find a lunchbox, even if the gourmet place could never produce one with the Archies on the side.

I left with 4 cookies. She actually found a lunchbox at the gourmet cooking store. It's red and made of neoprene, and is supposed to have great insulative qualities. I took to calling it the 'red wetsuit apparatus.'

In any case, we got home and the youngster and I tore into the cookies. I....could barely finish one. It was delicious, and I savored every bite, but I looked at the second one and thought...I just can't eat this. Maybe tomorrow. Damn! I get myself in somewhat decent shape and allow myself white chocolate and macadamia nut decadence, and I can't even finish it. What's wrong with me?

Over the hill? I think not.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home