Tuesday, October 23, 2007

déjà vu all over again

I watched last night's Jags/Colts game from the comfort of the couch, and just sank deeper and deeper into it. No, going into it, I didn't think we were as good as Indianapolis, but I did think, at home, the Jaguars could take 'em in a game. Things had to go our way, but it could happen.

Then I watched our excuse for a receiving corps drop David Garrard passes. Then I watched David Garrard get knocked out of the game, putting it in the hands of Quinn Gray. Then I watched Quinn Gray get picked off by Bob Sanders, which ultimately resulted in seven more Colts points. Then I watched Quinn Gray get dropped in the end zone for a safety for two more points. Somewhere in that mix, even I (in my teal colored specs) figured out things weren't going to go our way, and not feeling all that good, I went to bed. I woke up this morning to read our one bright spot, Maurice Jones-Drew, also got hurt, but I don't know how seriously, yet. Worse than all that, I saw my team trying to be a finesse team when that's not what they are. They wouldn't do the things that got them where they are...or were, before last night. They stopped trying to run it right at the opposing team. Yes, the defense wasn't going to give them that, but you have to go in and take it. You have to be the physical team that got you to this point. You can't fool anyone by trying to be what you aren't...because you aren't!

Then there's the fact that everyone knows our receivers suck as a group. I've pretty much lost hope for Matt Jones, and Reggie Williams caught all of zero balls last night (but at least he tries). So much for those #1 draft picks. Oh and we're only 20 freakin' million dollars under the salary cap (so I know it's pretty tight), which might explain why, when the Dolphins dangle Chris Chambers in the face of the Jaguars front office, they declined the trade for a second round pick in next year's draft, an offer the San Diego Chargers leaped on. Tell me again how you're doing everything you can to put the best product on the field. That, and you won't what in my mouth? Yeah, color me just a tad frustrated.

So where does that leave my team? Like the Tuna once said, the game tells you where you are. Like I said yesterday, it leaves us one of many chasing a wild card spot. It leaves us well under the radar, and deservedly so. No, the season isn't a wash. No, we're not ready for a fork. We do have a tough road to hoe, and depending on how bad the injuries are, it might get ugly. We go to Tampa and New Orleans next, which are very winnable games if we're not too banged up, but after that it gets tougher. If we are living with Quinn Gray behind center for any length of time, we are ready for a fork. Shove it in. We're done. Time will tell.

It could be a whole lot worse, I suppose. We could be the Dolphins.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home