Monday, November 05, 2007

ups and downs with the youngster

The youngster wants to ride the MS Bike Ride next year. To that end we've started training. Yes, I know it's way early. The ride won't be until next September, but I need the exercise anyway and he's anxious to start, so we're riding. It's fun, really...getting out there with him and doing something like this together. We haven't gone big distances yet, but we're doing more than a trip around the block. Saturday morning we did 24 miles...not bad. The thing is, on the way home one of our neighbors rolled down her window as she passed us and yelled "Go Red Sox!" and the youngster gave her a hand gesture. No, it wasn't the one finger salute, but it was clear he wasn't happy. I was behind him (because that way I can't lose him) and I pedaled up next to him and asked, "What's that all about?"

"She knows I'm a Yankees fan."

Excuse me? You're a what? When did you morph into a storm trooper minion of the evil empire? I'm reminded of the joke about a kid telling his class his dad's a male prostitute in a gay bar because he doesn't want to admit he's really a Bengals fan, and male prostitute sounded better. My son is a Yankees fan. Oh the shame. He used to be a Cubs fan. I don't know what happened or when, and where was I when it did? All of a sudden Andy Reid's plight takes on a new perspective (but I spend lots of time with the youngster). You really can't control when your kids go bad.

I explained Mr. Steinbrenner to him and the evil of it all, and he sluffed it off. The weird thing is, I don't think the boy has ever watched a Yankees game. If he has, I don't know where he did it. Not in MY house! I didn't want to get into an argument with him about it all, but I doubt he could name the current Yankee infield. I don't know what it is about them he likes. Maybe it's just a phase...something like his way of being rebellious. I guess, if that's as bad as that gets, I should be thankful. It has to be just a phase. Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon.

Sunday it was beautiful outside, so I asked the youngster if he wanted to go bike riding again. He declined, and I didn't argue too much, because I really wanted to do more than 25 miles, and I knew with him, we wouldn't go much more than that. He'll get there, but he's not ready yet. I took off on my own and did 45, half because I wanted to and half because I'm starting to gain weight. Damn that Halloween candy, but thank God for the accompanying Catholic guilt that got me on the bike to burn some of it off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home