Friday, November 09, 2007

sky stuff

Wednesday, on the day off, like I said, I went bicycling. When I got home, I took a shower and was getting dressed afterward when I head this noise. I thought something fell in the garage downstairs, or off the wall or something because it was loud. Two quick crashes going BA-BOOM. I was in the middle of putting my jeans on, so I finished and ran downstairs, looked around...nothing. Opened the garage door and looked around...nothing. Then the door started going up. In perfect timing, it was the wife coming home from a friend's house and there I am, standing in the garage barefoot and shirtless.

"What are you doing?"

"Well, I was getting dressed and I thought I heard something fall, but everything looks fine. I don't see anything on the floor."

"Well, as I was driving through the neighborhood, people were outside looking at the sky and then I heard it too. I think you heard the shuttle."

That was it. I forgot the shuttle was coming home. It's not every time that it flies over our part of Florida, so we don't always get the double sonic boom (and it had be a while), but we did Wednesday.

Last night, I tried yet again to see the Holmes comet thing. It's been out there for a while, but we've been clouded over in the evenings, making it impossible to see stars. The last three nights though, it's been clear, so at dusk I've been peering to the northeast and seeing...a lot of stuff, but nothing I could point to and say "Eureka, I found it!" Last night I think I found it, but I'm still not sure. It wasn't as bright as I thought it'd be, but if this map is right, I got it with the naked eye.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home