Thursday, December 20, 2007

and people thought I was into bicycling

Every year I send Christmas cards. I don't send a bazillion of them. My philosophy is I sent them to people I won't see to wish a Merry Christmas in person, or here. Mostly it's old school and Navy friends who keep in touch through this once-a-year tradition. With the card, I send a letter, chronicling the highlights of the Lumberyard year. It's not quite a brag-a-thon, but braggy stuff is in there too.

This year, as you can imagine, my year long bicycle quest, culminating in the MS Ride in September, featured prominently. Well, I got a response from an old high school buddy who now lives near San Francisco. It seems he's been seriously into bicycling for the last few years and now owns seven, count 'em, seven bicycles. He listed the inventory out for me.

Now, I'm not into it enough to know a lot about different brands and models. I know what I have, but beyond that, I don't know a whole lot. So, when I got the list and saw, "I have a brand X go-fast-bike." I went to the brand X website to see what the guy has, out of curiosity, and clicked on the go-fast-bike link to see what it looks like. Daaaaaayyyyyymn. Six thousand dollars worth of go-fast-bike, and that's only one of the seven. Another is a five thousand dollar tandem road bike. They go down a little from there, but the guy must have over fifteen thousand dollars wrapped up in things you can peddle. A third one is a mountain bike, so I can see, if you have the money, going with those three if you like to ride both on and off road. One is at his parents' house in Pennsylvania, so he can ride when he visits...I can sorta see that, again, if you have the means. What could you possibly need another three for? I dunno. Because you can, maybe? It definitely made me feel like an amateur, with my piddly little 6 month old go-not-so-fast-bike. It does what it needs to do though.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

He sounds insecure to me, John, and like maybe he has a really SMALL BIKE, if you get my meaning...lolol

;-)

Merry, merry, if I don't get back here before the holiday. Hope you and all your loved ones have a fabulous one.

1:39 PM  
Blogger John said...

You too, Jess. Stay warm and have a great holiday!

And for the record, I know my bike is bigger than any of his seven. You know guys....we're always comparing ;-)

2:01 PM  
Blogger John said...

Also for the record, and for clarification, (cuz I try to be fair and balanced) we've traded more e-mails, and he does a lot of ebay/craigslist shopping, so he hasn't spent bike shop money on the seven bikes, but still...there are seven of them.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home