Monday, January 21, 2008

the content of their character

Wooo Hoooo! It’s Marty’s birthday! Usually on this day I pontificate on how great the world would be if we truly stopped caring about the color of our skin and worried more about the content of our character….and I truly believe it would. That would mean a world where affirmative action has no place. Minority set asides, to ensure a certain percentage of city contracts go to minority businesses, would have no place. They would have no place because the playing field would truly be level, and nobody would have a reason to ask for special consideration. I keep hoping we’re getting there, and the world keeps proving me wrong.

The latest example is the candidacy of one Barak Obama. It’s not the fact that he’s running for president that I have issue with. It’s the way his campaign is treated in the media. There seems to be an emphasis on, “He’s too black” and “He’s not black enough”, depending on the constituency. Why, people, do we have to care? Why can’t we just concentrate on the guy’s message? As the candidates head to Florida, I’m getting bombarded with messages, and his doesn’t come in color. Nor does it come in black and white. It is what it is, and I’ll consider him, based on what he says, not what he looks like….just like everyone else.

I’m praying for the day when America doesn’t vote for a black president…or a woman president. I want America to vote for a great president, and stop giving a shit about the wrapping that package comes in.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

Amen, and happy birthday.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home