Thursday, January 10, 2008

Training begins in earnest

The youngster stated in September that he wanted to do the MS Bike ride this coming year. He wants to bike ride from Saint Augustine to Daytona and back on a two day bike ride.

Well, I gave him (and me) an intermediate goal last night. I found a ride in April. It's not quite as intense as 80 miles on consecutive days, but it is about 60 miles (100 k). It's for a good cause - the organ donor program, and it's something to work toward. I checked the boxes at the website for them to send me more information and a registration form, although I'll probably read the information but register us both online. I've pretty much made up my mind though. In April we will ride...100 km through Amelia Island, which ought to be a very scenic trip.

On a related note, the youngster wanted to run track in the spring, and I was all for it. I figured that and cycling would compliment each other and build his stamina. Now though, none of his friends are running track. No freshmen are at all. He's decided he doesn't want to do it this year. We discussed that last night, and I told him, I'm fine with that. He needs to do something else though, then, to work on getting in shape to ride. He can run laps around the neighborhood after school, or go to the gym with me, but he needs to do something. This 100 k ride in April will give him an intermediate goal and a reality check. He rides with me on Saturdays, but one bike ride a week isn't going to cut it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home