Thursday, January 03, 2008

could it be coincidence?

Two years in a row, the most interesting BCS Bowl game involved Oklahoma losing. Last year it was the improbable Boise State win, with the guy winning the game and running to the sideline to propose to his cheerleader girlfriend, in a scene that I thought only Hollywood could make up. This year, West 'by God' Virginia loses its head coach to Michigan, and goes in an underdog with an interim head coach at the helm. Nobody outside the state of West Virginia thinks they have much of a shot, especially after that last regular season game against Pitt...and they came out ready to take on the world..or at least the University of Oklahoma part of it.

Now, on the flip side, the university went and took the "interim" tag off their new head coach on the crest of the wave of an emotional Fiesta Bowl win. I don't know how smart that was. I mean, I wish him all the best, but I think they had other candidates out there to pick from who have proven themselves better suited to a head coaching job, but who am I to judge? Maybe he'll be great.

In any case, that team rocked, in a way I would have liked to see Hawaii rock in their game against Georgia. Nothing against Georgia. I didn't necessarily want them to lose. I wanted a great game. I wanted to see Hawaii look like more than a deer in headlights, and show everyone that they really belonged in a BCS bowl game. That didn't happen. Colt Brennen looked like a Dodge Colt in an offense begging for a Viper, mostly because his offensive line was...well...offensive.

West Virgina though..my hat's off to those kids. They played through the naysayers and showed us why they belonged in the Fiesta Bowl. Congratulations.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home