Monday, January 07, 2008

be careful what you wish for

OK, so we had a scary but successful second trip to John Kerry field this year. After looking scary good for the first half of the Jaguars/Steelers game, the Jaguars melted down enough to make me hang my head and think...I can't believe they're going to blow this, only to come back and pull it out in the end. I'm too old to let football games age me.

In the aftermath, we get what we wanted...a crack at the New England Patriots. Do I expect the Jaguars to win? No. At least not like I expected them to beat the Steelers. I want them to win. I honestly believe they can win. I think they have the talent to win, and if the weather cooperates, I think they have a better than even chance. I'll watch the game rooting and praying and hoping and whatever else I can do that they will win. I'll be disappointed if they don't, and elated if they do. Still, I can accept the fact that a lot of things have to fall our way for the Jaguars to pull out a victory in Foxboro. I know a lot of people think there's no way in hell that happens. I'd bet most of those people never saw an entire Jaguars game this season before this past Saturday night, so it's a very educated position. Hey, stranger things have happened. Before Saturday night, no road team had ever won twice in one season in Pittsburgh. The Eagles, Ravens and Giants all came close, so I'm thinking it can be done. Ya never know.

I know this. A fair portion of the country not called New England is, maybe for the first time in our history, rooting for the Jaguars to win a game. Some, I'm sure, are just realizing there is a team called the Jaguars, as evidenced by the Pro Bowl voting. I'm hoping my boyz don't let us all down.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

That was one HELL of a game. I'm not much of a football watcher, but I have to say, even I was on the edge of the sofa for a good part of the game...and on the edge of my pillow for the last four or five minutes. I thought of you...and began preparing to write this blog comment on Saturday...except I really really really thought the ending would be different.

Nice job for your boys. That Garrard is some QB. I hope you do ROCK the Patriots. They're a little too big for their britches, especially this year.

2:20 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

Oh, yeah, and Maurice Jones-Drew is a cutie. :-)

2:21 PM  
Blogger John said...

Pretty good Jones-Drew story.

Last December (as in a little over a year ago), a Jones-Drew jersey was on my 'want list' for Christmas, and the wife and youngster went to the mall in search of one.

They looked all over the store where they sell that sort of thing but couldn't find one, so finally, they asked a sales person. They were informed that they were all sold out and wouldn't get more before Christmas, but "he's standing right there."

"Who?"

"Maurice Jones-Drew."

Sure enough, they guy was in the store with his girlfriend, shopping. They didn't interrupt him, but the wife was struck by how short he is, especially for a football player. He's proof that height is overrated. He's damn good.

The story had a happy ending. They found a jersey in another store, and I was wearing it Saturday night.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home