Thursday, January 24, 2008

listening to the tube

I went to the gym last night, continuing my effort to be a healthier me. There are several TVs in the place, and the volume was turned down on the one facing me. It was showing a college basketball game (Iowa State at Kansas) so the sound wasn't all that important.

What it did allow me to do, though, was listen to the television others were watching, with the volume turned up pretty loud. They were watching...American Idol. So basically I got to listen to people who thought they could sing, have Simon tell them they can't, buh-bye, and then have them plead their case for a few minutes while being told to leave...several times. Yawn. What came on after that though, was amazing...at least to me. I don't know the name of the show (Moment of Truth, maybe), but basically it's a game show where you can win a lot of money to tell the truth when asked embarrassing and potentially life changing questions. It wasn't like watching a train wreck, because I couldn't see the screen, but it was like listening to one. One guy was asked if he had delayed the idea of having children because he didn't know if he and his wife (of two years) would be married all that long. He answered "yes", and she's sitting in front of him. The next guy, works at a track...I assumed like a horse racing place. His boss is sitting in front of him when he's asked if he ever secretly went through a co-worker's stuff, or considered that he has a gambling addiction, and he answered, "yes" on both counts. I'm thinking, "Dude, you are so fired." Winning some money is a great thing, but is it worth your job, or worse, your wife? Why would anyone put themselves in that situation?

In the end, I guess it's not much worse than showing up on Springer (is he still on?), but damn, people. $10,000 only goes so far. Don't ruin your life for it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home