Wednesday, January 23, 2008

rebates...what's up with that?

OK, so Dubya and congress have this wonderful idea of how to stimulate the economy. Let's give everyone a tax rebate. We did it before and it worked. Let's try it again. Let's send everyone a chunk of their tax money back and let them spend it.

I don't have a problem with the concept, such as it is. If it works, great. What I have a problem with is the Democrats, and the notion that we have to give this rebate to the poorest of the poor, who don't pay taxes, and keep it from the rich, who paid the most taxes. Everyone knows the rich have more money than they can spend, so they don't need any of the huge hunk of it they gave the government. The poor, on the other hand, really need the money. That last statement, I can't argue with. It's true the poor could really use the money, but it's not the point.

The concept of a rebate is that you're getting your money...that you paid into something...back. When you buy a car and they give you a rebate, they don't give you money and a car, and you pay nothing. They give you a small portion of the money you gave them..and a car. You don't come out ahead in the car and money departments. That's how rebates work. If you don't give someone a huge hunk of money to start with, there's nothing there for you to get back.

Now, if you want to take the "feel good" label off it, and stop calling it a rebate, and call it what you're actually doing, government mandated charity, I have no issue with it. It's not a rebate. Call it the handout that you're trying to make it, if that's what you want it to be. Stand up and tell everyone, we're once again robbing from the rich, who work their asses off getting that way, and giving to the poor, because we like fostering class envy. Stately Lumberyard Manor doesn't come with a 90210 zip code, but apparently between the wife's and my salary, we're rich enough that if the Democrats' proposal passes, no cash will be hitting our humble abode. That bothers me a little, but the concept that people who pay no taxes somehow get a "rebate" bothers me more. I realize it's election time, so we need to pay the poor to vote Democrat again, and if you can pay them with my money, all the better. So be up front about it. Call it mandatory charity and yeah, I'll stand in line like everyone else, open up my checkbook and hand Barbara Boxer the pen....cuz that's what this really is. We're passing the collection plate at the holy congressional church of secularism, and taking away everyone's choice as to whether or not they want to contribute. Just hand me a receipt when you're done bending me over, so I can get a deduction for it when I'm filing next year's taxes.

I know, I know, how Republican of me. I've been told that before.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's just a good thing I didn't read this blog entry today, or I might have been forced to leave a comment.

9:30 AM  
Blogger John said...

Actually, I was sort of expecting a Jessie onslaught, because I'm pretty sure your view is diametrically opposed to mine. It wouldn't change how I feel about the whole thing, but I would imagine you wouldn't agree with me.

Please note, however, that I'm not opposed to helping the poor. That isn't the point at all. I do some of that on my own...by choice. I don't appreciate the government forcing me to do more, but if they are, I just want everyone to be honest about what they're doing and how they're doing it.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home