Monday, February 25, 2008

find your grail

I am a Monty Python fan, and have been for...I dunno..maybe 35 years. I know we watched them religiously when I was in high school, and we complained because gas was up to 50 cents a gallon.

Last fall we heard Spamalot was coming to J'ville, and there was much rejoicing...and least with me and the youngster. Monty Python and the Holy Grail was one of the things about my youth that I shared with him on several occasions. We have the movie on DVD and while he can't quote it like his father (yet), the youngster enjoys it as much as I do. One of our neighbors asked if we wanted to see it with them, and ordered tickets for all of us. I was so stoked. I have been many places, but none of them are Broadway in New York City, and other than local theater that mom-in-law does costumes for, and the stuff I did in high school, had never really seen a play. So here was coming a real "been on Broadway" play (minus the famous named actors), and it was the stage adaptation of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. What more could I ask for? (Don't answer that.)

Yesterday was grail day. To prepare, we watched the movie (yet again) Wednesday night. It was the first time the wife watched it from beginning to end, and when it ended, she just looked at me and asked, "That's it?" Then..."ohhhh, I don't know if this is going to be my thing."

So, over the weekend, I was a little concerned. All the anticipation, and she wasn't going to enjoy it?? How could you not like Monty Python? I mean, how does one watch the famous dead parrot sketch and not find it funny? But, on the other hand, I know plenty of people really don't. My dad, for instance, wouldn't last 2 seconds watching old Python sketches.

Yesterday, we piled everyone in the rolling video game and went downtown to the theatre (us and the neighbors - I knew that fold down seat would come in handy someday). The curtain went up and I watched thew wife anxiously....and soon the anxiety went away. She loved it, as did I and the youngster, and the neighbors, and just about everyone else I saw (and I was surprised to see several people I knew there). I'll just say that it's not the same as the movie, but it is loosely based on it, and it is hilarious. If you get the chance (and haven't already), go! I don't want to say any more, because I don't want to ruin it if you haven't been and get to go. The wife...thought it was far better than the movie. I'm a bit more old school. I like the movie better, but I have loved that for years. This was very very good though.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

I want to see it. I'm glad the wife liked it.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home