Tuesday, February 19, 2008

golf lately

As many of you know, (or at least the two or three that read my corner of the internet) I like golf, but I don't play much, and I play even less now that my bicycle has taken up more of my free time.

What you don't know is I don't wear a golf glove. I think the golf glove is a useless piece of gear. The grips on clubs are good enough that the glove really doesn't do a whole lot. The club certainly isn't going to slip out of your hand without one. I used to use one because everyone else did, and I figured I was supposed to, but never really figured out why you wear it to hit a drive and your irons, but take it off to putt, then put it back on, and take it off, and put it back on...ad naseum. I did it though. Then one day I ripped a hole in one, took it off and played better. Never bought another since.

I used to play about once a month, but I'd at least get to the driving range at leats once a weekend for an hour of practice. This year, I hit the driving range for the first time yesterday..and actually hit the ball pretty good, all things considered. What I did find though, is a reason for a golf glove. When I played all the time (or at least practiced) I had a callous on the ring finger of my right hand where it rubs against my left hand holding a club. My lack of practice has made that disappear, and now I have a huge, ugly, painful blister there. If I let it heal and continue to practice, I'll be fine.

The guy who taught me to play says if I'm getting a blister, I'm holding the club wrong. That may be, but until I figure out how to hold it right, I may have to buy a glove just to stop the blistering thing.

The youngster's old school holds a golf tournament every February, and I've helped out with it (and played in it) for the last 5 years. Even though he doesn't go to school there anymore, they asked and I agreed to help out again this year. It was supposed to be this coming Sunday. We already had plans that would prevent me from playing, but I could still help out beforehand, even if I couldn't play. Then, yesterday at church, they announced they moved it to May...so maybe I can play after all. I sent the organizers an email thanking them for moving the show, just for me. Truth be told, I think they just got too comfortable with the tournament pretty much running itself. There was very little (as in, NO) advertising this year. I think they procrastinated themselves into a corner where the tournament is a week away and nobody's signed up to play because nobody knew it was coming. The answer...more procrastination...put off the tournament until May! Maybe by then, I'll be done with the blister ordeal.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home