Monday, February 11, 2008

the weekend in review

The youngster and I went biking Saturday morning...20 miles, nothing huge. On the way home, some woman in a beat up pick up truck yelled at us, going in the other direction, across a median. (Pretty truck though...nice shade of...ummm...primer.) I didn't quite make out what she said, but the youngster caught it. "Get off the road!"

OK, so we're in the bike lane with no traffic even headed in our direction, and some woman in a old pick up feels it necessary to yell at us and tell us to vacate what she clearly believes belongs to....her?? I need to just let that go, but it's obviously still bugging me a bit because I'm blogging about it.

Did the bike thing again Sunday (so yeah, it was a fairly big cycling weekend, but the weather, except for the wind, was perfect for it.) Did the trip to work and back with a neighbor. The youngster declined, as I thought he would. It's still a bit far for him. 30 miles, OK. 42, a bit much. The wind was nasty and the bridge was difficult...much like last weekend. It was just a nicer ride with company.

Then came the grammys. I was doing the bills, so I was sorta watching and sorta not, but what I saw showed me how out of it I am. Amy Winehouse. People, what is the big deal? This woman is winning stuff left and right, and I couldn't be more underwhelmed. They tell me to listen to you singing, I say No No No! That was the best the music industry could come up with this year? Rehab? Are we in that big of a slump? The girl's got pipes, but what about that music and/or lyrics brings to mind the word "good"? What an unimaginative piece of crap...but that's just one man's opinion. I liked Feist doing the '1234' i-pod song with the brass backing her up, though. Kanye West...just go crawl in a hole somewhere, and stop telling me how you deserve a grammy. Apparently you do, because you got several, but you don't have to be the poster boy for the "Me" generation. Really, you don't.

For those of us of a Christian persuasion, it's Lent. For those of us of a Catholic persuasion, that means attempting to give up something you really like for the next several weeks, and no meat on Fridays. I usually give up the same thing...chocolate. I loooves me the chocolate, so this is a fairly difficult thing for me. I usually also falter once or twice, especially in the beginning where I just plain forget. Last night though, I wasn't forgetting. I was just plain weak. The wife and youngster made chocolate chip cookies for the youngster's school bus driver. It seems it's his birthday. Home made cookies, and I just stared at them whenever I found myself in the kitchen, and did great for several hours, until the wife was doing her nails, so she asked me to bag up the cookies so the youngster could take them this morning. That was torture. Again, I was doing great, until one fell on the floor. I picked it up, well within the three second rule limit, and stared at it. I wasn't going to put it in the bag. I didn't want to throw it out. What a waste! Oh man...home made cookies...so I indulged. Ahh well. Pick myself back up by the scruff of my neck and try again.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta respond re: Amy Winehouse. Bear with me. Think Donny Hathaway, think 60s. Think Motown almost, but with a modern sensibility. She's only 24, remember. She's a hot mess, no question, but see if you can't get your hands on "Tears Dry On Their Own" and give it a fair listen. It's unlike anything anyone else is doing ... and if she can keep it together, she could really be something. Last night, that performance was amazing. Ten days earlier she looked to be ready to blow up, along the lines of Britney...but she pulled it together and gave a hell of a performance at 4:00 a.m., sober. I'm rooting for her. Don't write her off yet.
;-)

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and she went back to rehab after the performance. Says something.

6:53 PM  
Blogger John said...

I wish the girl all the luck in the world getting her personal life together. I hate seeing someone with promise trash what they have, and she very well may avoid the train wreck. I hope she does. I hope she becomes something, but I don't think she's there, sober or not.

All that doesn't make this song any better for me, and yeah, that's a matter of personal taste, which I could very well be lacking. The youngster thinks it's a great song, which goes to my original point...I must really be out of it. I get the 60's reference. I also look at stuff I think is really good, and compare that to it, and it doesn't stand up. When I heard it, I thought...that kind of music reminds me a little of Paul Simon's Graceland in the 80's. I could hear him singing it, but if it was on that album..well, let's stop there. It'd have trouble even making that album. Pretty much everything on it outshines Rehab. Heck, Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes blows it away (again, my opinion). Yet this is what we hold up as the best song of the last year. Maybe that says more about the year than it does the song. Who knows....

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home