Monday, February 04, 2008

quick trip to work and back...then the game

It was a beautiful day yesterday, if a bit windy, so I decided to make a trip to work and back...by bike. The trip includes a grueling trip over the intracoastal waterway bridge each way, but the view at the top of the bridge, when you're on a bike and not moving very fast (because you just pedaled uphill into the wind), is worth it. Round trip, slightly under 40 miles, so I did a lap around the neighborhood when I got back to make up the difference.

Then off to a neighbor's house for the Super Bowl. It's not all that often that the Super Bowl lives up to the hype. The commercials usually do, but the game itself is a bit spotty. Last night was a defensive struggle, so while the scoring left a bit to be desired, it was close all night. Finding a place to get up and grab some food or a beer was tough, because the game was exciting and the commercials were good...or mostly good. Some were a bit bizarre (jumper cables on the nipples? ouchie!), but the Bud Clydesdale/Rocky theme thing was one of my favorites. That, and the not one, but two e-trade baby commercials. We still have some Bud Light in the fridge from a month or two ago (because we don't go through beer very fast). I'm downing that shit tonight, in hopes that we bought ours before the ability to fly was recalled.

The outcome - as I said before the game, I really liked seeing Tom Coughlin win that game. There's proof karma works. I guess it would help to know something about him, but Coach Coughlin still has a home in J'ville, and still does a lot for the community here. He comes off pretty gruff, but that man has a heart of gold. He still has a golf tournament here that raises a lot of money for local charities, and is supported by many celebrities and sports figures. You continually hear stories of him doing things, like visiting kids with cancer in the hospital and helping their families. You never hear it from him. You hear it from the people who saw him there...like the nurses. He deserves what happened last night. I'll admit, it wasn't so bad seeing the Patriots get taken down a peg either. Before the game, Plaxico Burress made a prediction that the Giants would win, which you would expect, seeing as he plays for them. What player doesn't think he'll win? He predicted a 23-17 score. Asked about it, Tom Brady laughed and asked, "Does he really think we'll only score 17? " How about 14, Tommy? Bellichick - I manage to dislike that man more every time I watch him. It's not that he wins, but the smugness with which he does it that bothers me. I don't know if it's really how he is, but he comes off as thinking he's above everyone else, and that it really is his world, and the rest of us are just living in it. The whole cheating thing is a good example, but so are his three word interviews, the cut off sweatshirts. Ya just want to smack him.

Still, I gotta give 'em credit. They got to the game my Jaguars couldn't, so now they share my loser's refrain...wait'll next year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home