Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The primary fallout in Florida

So John McCain won the Republican nod in Florida. Hillary took the Democratic side in a weird primary, because no Democrat actually campaigned in Florida. Florida pissed in the corn flakes of both parties by holding its' primary earlier than either party liked. The Republican party retaliated by cutting the number of Florida delegates in half. The Democrats took away all the Florida convention delegates and asked candidates not to come to Florida. Party politics...whatever. Nice way to woo the voters though. No matter what party organizers and big wigs do, don't tell the people their vote doesn't count and you essentially don't give a damn what they think.

I can't say I'm surprised or disappointed. As politicians go, I like McCain. (Please understand that I'm not keen on politicians of either party as a rule...so when I say "like" in a context that involves any of them, it's a relative term.) I liked him when he ran against Bush, and thought him the better candidate then. I like him now, but am pretty much torn between him and Romney. In fact, the way things fell out in our state pretty much mirrors my opinion of the Republican candidates.

I can't say I ever really watch Fox news. It's much more interesting to me to watch the spin on the major networks when it comes to the national picture. I went to the gym last night, though, and Fox was on every TV, covering the primary, and I learned a few things.

First, I've thought for a while, seeing as I'm torn between McCain and Romney, they'd make a decent ticket together. One's stronger on foreign policy. One better on the domestic side. Both have a lot of integrity and aren't afraid to buck the system when it needs to happen. They'd compliment each other well...BUT...apparently they really don't like each other. You'd think they could swallow all that, and work together for the good of the country, but they're politicians, with political egos. I'm not expecting much. So much for that idea.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't like McCain, and has been bashing the guy. Same with the party. He's not "Republican" enough, and some of his views don't toe the party line. So...the guy has a mind of his own. Good for him and Rush...well...too bad for you.

Rumor had it Rudy will bow out and throw his support to McCain today. We shall see. I didn't see him winning anyway.

Over all though, I was pleased, or as pleased as I can expect to be. I could easily vote for McCain or Romney right now, but again...November is far far away.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home