Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I love college basketball

It's even better when my little main line Philly school is doing well, but we aren't this year. At this point, I'll be pleased if we can spell NIT, so we can skip that part of the discussion.

I watched Indiana play Purdue last night while sweating in the gym. I have no particular rooting interest in that game, but damn it was fun to watch. The kids on both sides fought so hard it was a shame that one had to lose. Indiana came out on top, but it was just a fun battle to witness, especially in light of the accusations against Kelvin Sampson, the Indiana coach regarding recruiting practices. The guy may not have a job by the weekend, but none of that mattered last night. His kids played and fought their way through turnovers and scratched out a win regardless...and hugged ther guy when they came off the court.

It kinda makes me wonder...what happens to those kids? I know, money happens, and I guess I don't give money enough credit. The difference between watching that game and watching something like the Lakers and Cavs in the NBA is night and day. The passion goes away and is replaced by entitlement. The cheering students are replaced by blaring gangsta rap. Bling gets to start while raw desire rides the pine. Is money to blame for all that...or am I missing something?

Feel free to chime in.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home