Monday, March 17, 2008

...and just a sliver of Irish

My background by nationality...

half Italian
one quarter Slovenian
one quarter mostly English, but little bits of French and a sliver of Irish

So for my one little sliver...top o' the mornin' to ya on St. Patty's day.

The funny thing to me is...down here in the deep south...nationality is never discussed. It's not like it's taboo or anything. People are just apathetic about it. If I ask the wife about her nationality, I get a shoulder shrug and...I dunno. It's not something that I can stereotype and say all Southerners think that way, but I do know it's just never talked about much..or ever...like it is in the northeast...or north in general. I remember when we lived in upper Michigan, the predominant nationality where we were was Finnish, and other places had small enclaves by nationality. Heck, Steelton, a small town next to Harrisburg, Pa. where I lived for 7th and half of 8th grade, it was like little Bosnia, with the Serbs, the Croats and the Slovenians...and they used to fight amongst themselves there, too (albeit sans the automatic weapons). I think they still do. You don't get that (the nationality emphasis...not the automatic weapons part) here...unless you go to Miami. I'm not saying it's good or bad...it just is....and it's noticeable.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Happy St. Paddy Day! I've got a lot of Irish in me...We Parnell's are important over in Ireland.

Enjoy your day... if you eat or drink anything Green...make sure it's not mold.

haha :)

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home