Tuesday, March 11, 2008

the pride of the Jaguars


This past weekend, while I was combating the wind trying to do yard work, 12,000 runners were participating in the Gate River Run in downtown J'ville. It's a 15k race that brings in people from all over the world...yeah, even those Kenyans. The last part of the race is over the Hart Bridge, which sports a pretty good incline on both sides and this year was right into the teeth of a 25, gusting to 40 mph wind.
Through it all though, we have Jaxon de Ville...mascot for my Jacksonville Jaguars, finishing the run. This guy dons a suit weighing over 20 pounds, and is tough to breathe through, let alone drink..and runs 9.2 miles. How many of your team mascots do stuff like this?
For the record, no, I've never done the River Run, and won't. As much as my newfound fitness obsession has me exercising more than I have in a lot of years, my knees have told me that if I want them to continue to function for a long time in their present role, I won't be a runner. I listen to them.
I suppose I need to give credit where credit is due. The picture was swiped from the Florida Times Union, alias the J'ville newspaper.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home