Monday, March 10, 2008

getting used to thinning hair

OK...newsflash. I'm 50..almost 51 years old and the hair on top of my head is thin. Real thin. I'm not vain enough to spend money on Rogaine or the hair club for men. Especially after a semi-career in the Navy and keeping it very short for years, hair's just not that important to me. That's no knock on those of you who may use whatever method to stave off the hair thinning process. It's just...my priorities are different than yours.

What is important to me though, is comfort, and sooner or later I'm going to figure out that the top of my head can get a nasty sunburn, even if it isn't summer.

Saturday, the youngster and I did massive yard work. It was cool and extremely windy outside, and I went out to do stuff...without a hat. Behind our house is a pond, but between us and the pond is "wetlands", which is a nifty real estate word for "swamp". The "wetlands" have been encroaching on out backyard for years, and I finally said, "Enough!" and cut back the overgrowth making it into the area I used to mow...and will again...or at least the youngster will. After that we spread mulch. The grand plan was to then edge and mow the yard, but by the time we beat back the overgrowth, I had a stack of dead vegetation in the back yard that I can't kick to the curb until Thursday (yard trash day) so it's still littering the back yard, and in the way of further yard maintenance.

Through all that though, I was very unaware, until I got in the shower afterward, that I toasted my scalp. YOWWW! It's still a bit crispy. In the cool and wind, it just doesn't hit me that the top of my head is baking in the sun. Summertime...suuurrre. Grab a hat. In fact, I usually pick one as summer looms, and anoint it my "grungy" hat. It is with the understanding that that hat probably won't make it through the summer, but if it does, it's headed for the trash when fall comes, because by then, it's one nasty ball cap. It's a sacrifice to the habbidasherial gods....but it keeps my head protected when I do yard work. I have yet to pick this year's yard work sacrificial hat, but I guess I'd better get on that stick.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

you poor thing...my husband has been taking propecia for years due to thinning hair...you should get a realy cool hat- like a straw one.
:-)

6:14 PM  
Blogger John said...

I have tons of baseball caps...get a lot of them free for different things, so they are good candidates for a "grungy" hat. I have one straw one, but it's pretty nice, so I don't want to ruin it. It was free too though. If I get another one of those, one might bite the "grungy" hat bullet.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

when I think of 'grungy' hats, I think of those fishing hats old guys wear...with fishing hooks and other fishing paraphernalia dangling...my neighbor wears one when he's mowing his yard...bet he could hook you up.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home