Monday, March 03, 2008

some folks will do anything

I've mentioned before that I conned (or convinced) one of my neighbors to buy a bike and start training with the youngster and me. Then I set us up with a goal...one toward which we are actually progressing nicely and I think is do-able,, and even supports a good cause.

April 19th we will ride 100 km in an event benefiting organ donor programs. Or at least the youngster and I will. The neighbor...has bowed out. This weekend his wife and mine were talking and afterwards, the wife told me, "They're going on a family cruise in April."

"Oh?" said the guy immediately thinking of the bike ride, "When in April?"

"They leave the 19th for a week."

Damn! I'm learning not to count on anything until it actually comes to fruition. If I would have known he didn't want to ride, I would have let him off the hook. He didn't have to go and book a freakin' cruise just to get out of it. On top of that, it's not like we're biking to BFE or anything. It's only 62 miles and change, and it's along a very scenic route. You'd think he'd be begging to do this ride. Come to think of it, aren't YOU begging to do this ride?

I am kidding of course. Yes, I'm being ditched, but they didn't book a cruise that week because of the bike ride. I'm sure that's when the public schools have spring break and that's why that week is the cruise thing. It's just...I had this vision of getting several people to go do this ride...maybe as many as 10. Maybe we'd raise $1000 for organ donor programs and get in a fun ride. I still have two other people who said they want to do it, and a few maybes, but when it comes to people actually registered and raising money...it's just the youngster and me. Some day I'll learn. Just because it's my thing doesn't mean I can make it anyone else's.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home