Wednesday, February 27, 2008

sub economics

A few weeks ago we went to a neighbor's house for the Super Bowl. We were asked to bring a dish to share, and we did. At the time, I gave a passing thought to....why not get one of those humongous subs (hogies, heroes, whatever you call them in your part of the country)? You know...one of those very long sandwiches...everyone could just cut off however much they want. I didn't follow through on it, though, and we brought something else.

So today, it was getting near lunch time. I bring my lunch every day, but as lunch time got closer, I had the urge to leave what I brought in the fridge for tomorrow, because I wanted a sub. Then I thought...why not go get it from one of those places that make the humongous ones, so I can get an idea of cost.

Holy carp! I really don't get it. For the record, I went to Larry's Giant Subs, a southeast chain, mostly in Florida and Georgia, but stretching as far north (according to the take out menu) as Charleston, West Virginia. Now, Larry sells 8" and 12" subs, but he also has a 3 foot and 6 foot sub. I thought to myself...the 3 foot probably would have done the trick. $40! The most expensive one foot sub is $7.49. Throw in the extra penny, because I'm a big spender that way, and you have a sort-of round $7.50. So, I can get 5 feet of sub in foot long increments for $37.50 (at the worst, because remember, these are the most expensive ones they sell), or one 3 foot long sub for $40. You get a break on the 6 foot version...$75. How they ever sell a 3 foot sub, I don't know. I guess I'd have to see it. Maybe it's crammed full of meat and in some way better than the garden variety sub, but dang...$40 for a 3 foot sandwich.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

Not only the cost, but doesnt that kind of sandwich kind of make you squirm a little? For some reason, it always freaks me out. A sandwich just shouldn't be that long. It's just not right.

5:34 PM  
Blogger John said...

Ya know, I don't think I've ever actually seen one up close and personal. I just thought it was a cool idea.

Maybe the reality would be like Bobo the Clown, and I really don't have an appreciation for the creepiness.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home