Tuesday, March 04, 2008

coffee

I like coffee...a lot. And, yeah..I probably drink too much of it.

I have been drinking it for most of my adult life. there were periods where, for whatever reason, I gave it up, but I always come back to it. For a while at sea in the Navy, I got used to drinking it black, because supplies at sea were never a given, and we'd continually run out of cream, sugar, or both, but never the actual coffee. God forbid you'd have a Navy boat with no coffee. That was in the 70's and 80's. It might be better now. Instead of suffering through shortages, I got used to roughing it so I didn't really suffer based on the supply lines....until I got home, of course. Then I was back in civilization, and coffee could taste however I wanted it. I could cream and sugar all day long, if that's what I wanted.

We have a coffee maker at work. Over Christmas, someone got some flavored coffee as a gift, and brought some in, and we made it....much to the chagrin of one office member, who likes his coffee black. He grumbled a little, and took to making his own pot...which was OK. To each his own. But anyway, it's been twenty-something years since I've been on a Navy boat drinking black coffee, but I have been doctoring my coffee ever since, because...well, because I can. Maybe part of it is a subconscious celebration...that I'm not living at work on a floating hotel in the middle of nothing. Believe me, living in your office 24/7 with nowhere to go is a bitch, and I don't miss it. Maybe it's just because it tastes better. I never gave it that much thought, until this morning, when Mr Black Coffee walked in the kitchen while I was preparing my morning nectar of the Colombian Gods, pouring in the french vanilla creamer.

"What, you don't like coffee?"

I had to explain...and this is where this whole post was going....

I love coffee. I love hamburgers too, but I don't eat a hamburger, naked on a plate. I like mine on a bun with its salad. Ya know, with lettuce, tomato and onions. Maybe a bit of Heinz ketchup and some spicy mustard. Maybe get real crazy and put some melted Swiss cheese on there. Pickle if we got em. I want my burger with all the fixin's. Now that's a burger...far better than just a patty by it's lonesome. It's the same with coffee. I love the stuff, but it's far better when the flavor is combined with all the spices that make it better, if Coffee Mate Crème Brulée could be considered a spice...and since this is the Lumberyard where I make the rules, that's one spicy Coffee Mate. It's not about liking coffee. It's about a mixture of flavors, the predominant one being coffee, in a morning hot celebration of life, and toothpicks on the eyelids. It's about one piece of the puzzle that head butts the world and starts the day knowing it's full of potential and promise. Yeah...all that and coffee too.

So get off your high black coffee horse, and put that burger on a bun, why don'cha.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

LOLOLOL Right there with ya...

although I only like the cream part (no sweet stuff in my coffee)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

I am enjoying a cup of Chocolate Velvet coffee with a touch of French Vanilla cream.

Enjoyed this post, J. :)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Yeah, who'd eat a naked burger?

You don't have to ask me if I like coffee....I think you know that I worship the coffee bean, more than I worship Jesus himself. I simply cannot start a day without it. Oh-and isn't flavored coffee creamer the most genius idea? I don't even need the sugar!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home