Thursday, April 17, 2008

the road to dentures is paved with good intentions

Part of an old Stephen Wright comedy bit (from memory):
Most people brush their teeth before going to the dentist to get their teeth cleaned. Not me. I'm eating Oreos. They're working for my money.

While on my mini-vacation, I had my 6 month checkup with the dentist. This exercise means teeth cleaning...scraping...poking the fillings...reminding the Steeler fan dentist that it's been years since his boys beat my Jaguars, despite two opportunities last year where we kicked their sorry asses...which of course leads to more forceful scraping and poking, but it's worth it. Do your worst Dr. Steeler Fan.

Part of that experience is my 6 month lecture from the hygienist on flossing. I am a dental hygienist's nightmare. I suck at flossing. Oh, I leave there, every time, vowing to do better. Then I do...for about a week. Then I start to forget, and just don't bother, or whatever. A month later I'm not flossing at all, and 6 months later I'm hearing the same lecture all over again. The cycle begins anew with the same question as last time...

"How often are you flossing?"

So here I am again, within the one week span..and I'm all gung ho. (That's ho...as in gung ho...not as in Snoop Dogg's...never mind.) We've beaten back gum disease once more, but it's time to step up to the plate and take care of my teeth. This time the lecture came with a recommendation. She said I might want to try this flosser thing, which makes it easier and doesn't require you to be sticking your fingers in your mouth. Last night, the wife needed some stuff from the grocery store and asked if I'd make a run, so I did. There, in my travels up and down aisles, I saw the flosser thing and thought....maybe. Maybe this will help me get over the one week hump, because I really really don't want to deal with dentures any time soon...or any time later, for that matter. Time will tell, but wish me luck.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

I have horrible teeth and do the exact same thing you do after each cleaning. Promise to take better care of them, then totally forget about a week later. I am scared to death of getting dentures before I even hit 40. My parents both have them already. I wish they had harped on me to brush my teeth when I was little. They never did, now I'll probably pay dearly for it.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home