Wednesday, August 20, 2008

fay fay go away

I have to admit to being just a bit preoccupied.

I've spent the last two days, and will spend today, learning how to modify a software package we have at work. It's complex, but not all that complex. I don't exactly think I'm pushing the mental envelope, but I am wondering why we always have to push the envelope. Why not pull the envelope once in a while, or just flat out rip it open?

While I'm learning how this software does the things it does though, I've had weather on the brain. Tropical storm Fay has been wreaking havoc on my home state. It's been doing its thing to the south, but slowly creeping its way north toward, of all places, Stately Lumberyard Manor.

This has meant lots of checking out the National Hurricane Center's website during class breaks, and hours of watching Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel. I've concluded The Weather Channel has to be the most boring programming in the world. Don't get me wrong. The Weather channel is a great thing when you want a forecast and know when they do that sort of thing. The problems are 1) I'm not that familiar with when they do that sort of thing, and they fill the time in between with some pretty innocuous stuff and 2) weather isn't dynamic enough to make for compelling continuous programming. It changes about as fast as grass grows, and consequently, is about as exciting to watch. The video of some idiot, kite surfing his way into a building in the storm, aside, The Weather Channel could put those prescription sleep aids out of business. (A side note...in fancy dancy land, they shut off the cable in my room this morning, I suppose because I was checking out, so I didn't get the morning Weather Channel update in my room. I had to go to the lobby.)

Still, I'm having trouble pulling myself away, because I have a vested interest in what's going on. I really really want to get home tonight, and all the forecasts have had me and Fay on a collision course at the airport, and I'm pretty certain if that possibility becomes a probability, Fay will win, they'll close the airport and I'll be stuck in Atlanta a little longer than planned.

It's not like I didn't think ahead, at least a little. I saw this possibility coming and packed a few days of extra clothes. It's also not like Atlanta is hell, although given my druthers, I can think of a few other places I'd much rather be stuck in, if I'm going to be stranded for a while. I could stand another day here...or two. What it isn't though, is home. Another thing it isn't, is planned. All that makes it the other thing it isn't...welcome.

Wish me luck.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

Oh good luck to you! I hope you can make it home!!! And you don't like to watch grass grow?? What's the matter with you?
:)

8:58 AM  
Blogger John said...

It's looking good. I talked to the wife at lunch time and things are clearing up at home...so I'm crossing my fingers.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home