Friday, August 22, 2008

Villa Incognito

Usually when people brag on their multi-tasking ability, it comes down to the ability to do two things at the same time...like walk and chew gum. This Atlanta trip has given me the opportunity to multi-task, but on a higher plane....sometimes the one at 30,000 feet.

Yes folks, I've been able to do, not two, but three things at once. First we have the obvious. I got through a class on how to jump through flaming software hoops in the Lawson financial package. Next there was keeping an ever watchful eye on the weather, which in the end proved to be a needless exercise, but I was exercising all the same. Lastly, I finished another Tom Robbins novel.

I discovered Tom (not Harold) Robbins in college, in a Rolling Stone review of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, which sounded interesting, so I bit. It was a wonderful book (that the movie couldn't possibly do justice). The plot was great, but what caught me and made me a fan was Mr. Robbins use of language, twisted logic, humor, and an amazing ability to pull everything together in the most unlikely ways all sliding along in a sled propelled by life's more pleasurable lubricants (which is a delicate yet sort of Robbins-esque way of putting it). I gobbled up his other book, which was all there was at the time, but over the years I have read almost everything the man has written, and now I can say I highly recommend Villa Incognito. It is one of his better efforts, but understand that's coming from a fan. If you've never read Tom Robbins before, I wouldn't recommend it as something to dip your toe into. What I consider his most accessible work, and my personal favorite, is Still Life With Woodpecker, which is not only a great love story, but the inspiration for a Dan Fogelberg song...if anyone remembers Dan Fogelberg, and the immortal question, "How do we make love stay?" I like to think Mr. Robbins inspired the way I write, but let's face it, he does a far better job of it than I do, or I'd be writing books too.

In any case, The Lumberyard review of Villa Incognito is...another great book filled with humor, insight, incredible imagination and use of the English language...and yeah, Tom's own brand of and view of sex.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

excellent book.

I think I'm retiring the blog. How will we stay in touch?

7:53 PM  
Blogger John said...

I'll always be here...or at least for the forseeable future. You've got my e-mail address, too.

I would ask that you occasionally keep up with the blog though. OK, it's a selfish request, because you're part of the mosaic that form's my opinion/consideration of the liberal viewpoint.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home