Friday, September 12, 2008

I guess when things get real, it cuts both ways

For me, the thing last night was exciting. Getting the jerseys and seeing people from last year, like I said yesterday, makes it all very real. I can't wait for next Saturday. I wish it was tomorrow. For the record, I like last year's jersey better than this year's, but this year's is cool. I'm sure there will be pictures afterwards so you can form your own opinion. That may be a psychological thing...just being partial to the stuff from my first year doing the MS ride.

For some people though, I guess making it that real was too much. I'm talking about people who registered to ride with us (I'm sure for the first time) and last night realized...omigosh, it's a week away and I'm not ready.

They do our team check in at a local restaurant/bar. Last year I just walked in, got my shit and walked out.

This year I hung out for about an hour...had a beer and an appetizer and talked to people. I don't know if this happened last year, because, like I said, I didn't stay long, but...several people came in just to apologize and say they weren't going to make it. They couldn't raise the money, or they haven't been training, or whatever.

I guess it's not a new phenomenon. People start with the best intentions and then don't follow through. New Years resolutions are chock full of this stuff, and honestly, this ride is no small undertaking. If you don't train and get yourself ready, it could be a scary thing.

For years I said I wanted to do this ride, but I'd never do anything to make that happen. I just didn't realize people would actually register and then not go prepare for what they said they wanted to do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home