Thursday, January 15, 2009

so the waiting begins

I went to the dermatologist yesterday morning.

He told me to put on a "gown". This "gown" ties behind the neck and has shoulders fitted in it, but no arms, and no back. I can think of many people, all of them female, that this "gown" would flatter. I, however, am not female. Nor was I particularly flattered. I dealt with it though. The doctor put a sheet on a couch where I could sit and wait, which I did, reading a book I brought along to pass the time.

When he got back, I was expecting to tell him about this spot on my ear. He'd look and make a very intelligent "Ahhhh yes." comment, or something similar, tell me what it is, give me prescription for some creme or whatever and send me on my merry way. I'd use the creme, or do whatever he told me to do, and it'd all be done. That's kind of how I remember going through this a few years ago with a spot on my nose. I went in and saw the same skin doc I saw yesterday. He scraped some skin and went away. He came back and told me it was a pre-cancerous something-or-other and wrote a prescription. I was gone in an hour. I used the creme on the spot for a month, and everything was taken care of. Now, I just make sure I use sunscreen.

It was with that expectation that I walked into the same doctor's world yesterday. It started the same way (although he insisted on checking out my entire body for anything else as well, which was probably not a bad idea). He scraped the thing. But then, he had his assistant put a bandage on it and told me they'd get back to me with the results. He told me to get dressed and sent me on my merry way empty handed.

I was hoping for a one stop shop kind-of fix. I'm still expecting the same result. I'll probably end up with that same creme stuff. I'll use it for a month and all will once again be right with the world. The thing is, now I just have to wait, and I'll have to go back. In the end, I guess it's inconvenient, but it's better than dying...so I'll just hang with it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm proud of you for not ignoring it and doing something about it. My Great-Uncle Red was dealing with skin cancer during the years prior to his death. He was a house painter by trade for over 50 years and had patches skin cancer on his hands, face, neck and ears. He would be proud too.

Luv ya!
(the word verification is DOTTER...for some reason I find that to be very funny).

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

any results yet? I hope everything is okay!

3:55 PM  
Blogger John said...

Lyns, the answer to your question is no, I haven't got results yet. The question did lead me to ask, because it has been a week.
So I called the world renown clinic named after a condiment and asked...any news?
The answer was negative. Apparently it's not unusual for these results to take a week or two to come back....so the waiting continues.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home