Friday, May 13, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite

In honor of the 25th anniversary of one of my favorite movies, I have to ask, is it the Caddyshack of a new generation?

I remember when my son came home and said we had to rent Napoleon Dynamite, because it was hilarious. So we did, and I watched parts of it. To be honest, the day he watched it I was busy, so I saw pieces as I walked through the room. I couldn't even give you the plot, except it involves some of the un-popular kids at school banding together to get one of their bretheren elected class president, or some equally esteemed position (hall monitor maybe?). To that end, the words 'Vote for Pedro' get plastered all over the place.

Because of that, the words 'Vote for Pedro' are cropping up everywhere. One of my coworkers went to a Star Wars convention in Indianapolis and saw guys dressed as storm troopers, with 'Vote for Pedro' stenciled across their chests.

We went to the mall a few weeks ago and my son and his friend were going crazy over a 'Vote for Pedro' t-shirt in a surf shop. It was $20, so the answer was no, when he asked if I'd buy it for him.

Where all this is going:
My son's school has 'Wacky Dress Day' today. That means they get to wear some kind of wacky t-shirt and socks with jeans, which is a treat, because they normally wear uniforms. Last night he looked at me and said, "But dad, I don't have anything wacky, " and he didn't. He also had a birthday recently so he had money, so here comes the pitch. "Dad, if you drive me to the mall, I'll buy the 'Vote for Pedro' shirt with my own money"...so off we went, and he got his shirt.


I guess it really is a very cool thing for kids his age. When I took him to school this morning, since I'm the car pool dad, and he got out of the car, he and his shirt were the center of attention.

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Gosh!!! Funny movie. I enjoyed it.
Pedro will make our "wildest dreams come true!"

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home