Thursday, October 27, 2005

be careful what you ask for

The guy who's in charge of all the computer hardware at my work establishment is retiring. I have no shot at his job cuz I don't do hardware. I write the stuff that uses it to make things happen. In other words, I design and write software. Even if that weren't the case though, I wouldn't be asking for the job. I've seen that guy. He's here when I get here in the morning and he's here when I leave at night. He's here weekends and holidays. He has a real corner office with some space in it, but I swear he's hiding a cot, shower and kitchen in part of it, and I could have sworn I saw his dry cleaning being delivered there. What on earth would anyone want with that? I work to live, not the other way round, and I spend too much time here.

So now his replacement has been named. They promoted from within and I will grant you, the choice might be the best available within, but it still isn't that impressive. The whiners are having a field day. I didn't know this, but apparently one of the perqs at that level is a membership at a beach club, and they're all saying....why does he deserve that? Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't but it comes with the job. In any case people...think about it. He may be a member, but that poor guy is never going to see that place. His wife and kids may get to tell him how nice it is, but his opportunities to find out will be slim to none. He just signed up to be at work for the vast majority of his life. I don't know if he realizes it, but he's been around long enough to see what his predecessor had to endure. I know he's caught up in the 'promotion' aspect of it and the status that comes with it, but once the honeymoon ends and reality hits, I think he's going to be up to his eyeballs in work....and maybe that's what he wants. If it is, more power to him.

From my perspective though....I've seen that job and so has he, and just the act of applying for it, when you know the enormity of what you're asking for, should disqualify you on level of intelligence alone. Ambition is one thing. Selling your soul to the company is something else altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home