Monday, February 13, 2006

I pulled my groin this weekend...

..felt so good I pulled it again. (OK, I stole the line from Spin City...TV show, but it fits...sorta.)

It's cold out there. It's 'frost on the ground' cold and has been since yesterday and will be for a few more days. I know, I know. You folks up north have it worse, buried under two feet of snow, and I feel for ya'. Really I do. Doesn't make it any warmer here.

We got through the Saturday 8:30 a.m. baseball practice just before the rain started and the temps dropped. I guess God was smiling on us (if you call getting up early Saturday for baseball practice, smiling) since we got screwed out of the first week of practice. We got ours in and most of the other teams didn't. In any case, after that it started getting cold and wet and miserable outside, so we made a big pot of chili and watched the olympics.

I feel bad for Michelle Kwan. What kind of timing is that...pulling your groin going into your best shot at a gold medal, and having to drop out? I'll say this. The girl's got some class, handling it the way she did. I know she wants to be there, and wants to compete, and sees this as her last chance to grab gold, but when it becomes certain that you can't, step aside and give someone else the chance.

I'm not much for figure skating, but that's pretty much a guy bias. Most of us will sit through it, but none of us will really enjoy it. No move in sports should be able to be described as "delightful", and no male announcer should ever describe one as such. Can you imagine John Madden describing a safety breaking up a pass by knocking the snot out of some receiver, forcing him to drop the ball, and calling the hit "delightful?" Didn't think so. Hell, I can't even picture Jim Nance at the Masters watching Tiger stick a 9 iron two feet from the pin and calling the shot "delightful" (although I could see Gary McCord doing it...as a goof.) Hey NBC, get Dick Button's "delightful" ass off my TV.

I love watching the luge, just because I think the course is very cool. I'd love to ride a sled down something like that. It's like human Hot Wheels on ice. The downhill and freestyle stuff makes me miss skiing...just a little. I still have skis in my parent's basement. I wish they'd kick those things to the curb and have told them so. They keep them, in case I ever come home in the winter (yeah, right) and want to use them. I've been home in the winter, and while I may visit again during that time of year, those skis won't be part of the visit. I bought them in 1981, and haven't used them since 1993. The bindings would be scary enough if I had skied in the last ten years. Let alone now when I know they'll be needed. If I come home when there's snow and if I decide to go skiing (which could actually happen), I'll be renting.

The snowboarding is flat out cool. It just doesn't seem to fit in the Olympics, and maybe that's a perception I'm getting past. There's something slightly renegade about it that doesn't fit my Olympic mold. It's like the sk8er crowd just showed up with invites someone slipped them under the table, not that I mind. I like the idea. They're there, and they're enthusiastic, and I love watching the tricks I certainly can't do, so I'm movin' on.

I'm liking the USA berets too. I saw a few people in the crowd wearing them and thought...those have to be available somewhere. I need to find them on the net. In a wave of patriotic olympic spirit, I went searching and found them. I pulled out the credit card and then...stopped myself mid-click...and had a short conversation with myself. What the hell are you doing? Yeah, it's a pretty cool hat, but what will you do with it if you buy it? Twenty five dollars and where would you ever wear it? Hands where I can see 'em and step away from the browser. Watch Shaun White kick ass.

Hope everyone's staying warm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

yeah, I heard it's all the way down in the forties in northern florida. CRAZY. At least we are insulated by twenty inches of snow up here.

12:27 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hey now..be nice :)

It was actually in the low 30's when I walked the dog this morning. The highs are in the 40's. I had to scrape the windows before heading off for the car pool kids, and had to use a CD case (the Clash/London Calling for those interested) to do the scraping since I own nothing that will do a better job. If this doesn't get better soon, I'm going to have to dig through the old boxes and find the big coat.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Bubbles said...

You're right, I doubt the beret craze will ever catch on ... :-)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home