Monday, February 06, 2006

Offensive Super Bowl Interference

OK, yeah, I thought Pittsburgh would win the Super Bowl, but not like that. That was just sloppy, on a lot of people's parts.

I expected the vaunted Pittsburgh defense to shut down the Seahawks, but it didn't. The Seahawks stymied themselves. Jerramy Stevens dropped the game, pretty much, and if he wasn't gift wrapping the game for the Steelers, the officials were. I don't know if it was bad officiating or biased officiating, but damn...it sure looked like the zebras should have been dressed more like bumble bees....emphasis on the bumble. Offensive pass interference in the end zone, my ass, and that was just the most blatant example. I'll give 'em this. It was offensive. There were plenty of other examples as well.

I thought the Steelers were outcoached and outplayed, especially in the first half. I expected them to dominate the Seahawks, but that didn't happen. The Seahawks were having their way with the Steelers, winning the ball control and field position game. If someone told me beforehand the Super Bowl would be won on a few big plays and the better team would walk off a loser, I would have expected you to tell me the Seahawks won. I was way wrong. The Steelers were outplayed everywhere but on the scoreboard...and inside two minutes at the end of both halves, where Holmgren's clock management skills left the building.

The halftime show....let me say that I saw the Stones in 1975 and they were awesome. I saw them again in 1990 and they were old...but still good. What I saw last night was like walking in on your grandparents having sex. Not that I have, but I would think it'd have the same "ewwwwwww" factor. The geriatric Stones, and Mick Jagger's 80 year old navel, were a visual I really could have lived without. There are times when high definition is not a good thing, and this was one of those. Look up "disgusting" in the lumberyard dictionary and there's Mick Jagger's arm flab making him look like he's about to fly south for the winter. Start me up? Keith Richard looked like he needed someone to grab the paddles and yell "clear". Does anyone know if his guitar was actually plugged into anything capable of producing noise, or was that guy in the background with a guitar (that accidentally got in the picture once or twice) doing the Keith Richard parts because he just wasn't able to hold up his end? I suspect nobody's saying.

In the end, nobody will remember all that though. All they'll remember and all that counts in the long run is...the Steelers won Super Bowl XL...and the sheep streaker.

On a related note, I expected the car pool to be obnoxious this morning with my little Steeler fans, but it wasn't. We got a phone call early this morning. They weren't going to school today because they were up late...watching the Super Bowl. What's up with that? If you can't hang the next day, you don't need to be up watching football and doing tequila body shots while dancing the macaroni in your living room when your team wins (not that I know that's what they were doing). The youngster looked at me and said, "Wait, I stayed up and watched the Super Bowl. Can I miss school?"

Fat chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home