Tuesday, January 31, 2006

stupid guy things

I have a friend. Honest, I do.

Anyway, I have this friend that I've known for about 3 years. He and his wife moved to the neighborhood in which I live about then. We met in the bar for the golf course, were both originally from Pennsylvania (and it is amazing how many of us there are...that are from there) and hit it off. The wife and his wife became friends. He's one of the people I play golf with more often than not. He travels a lot and works in investing, and though I have never asked, I generally get the idea he makes a lot more money than I. Their house is huge and kids are grown for the most part, the youngest in college. I remember the first time we played golf, he made a point of telling me this was his second marriage, but he wasn't a complete failure because this one was working.

Well, the wife, through a series of grapevines, heard they are getting divorced, but they're trying to keep it all quiet. They don't want everyone knowing their business. He hasn't said anything to me, or anyone else, and while I don't want to pry, I would think the guy could use a friend. I know, because of the comment that first day we played golf, that he's embarassed and feels like a complete failure, and damn...the guy could use a reality check to know that while I don't know the circumstances, I know he's a good guy and by no means a failure.

He's been saying things like, they might sell their house and get something smaller. The last time it was, he and their daughter might move into a smaller house, and if his wife doesn't want that, well, she may have to leave. It was a kind of callous way of saying it, but I think it was an awkward stab at laying the groundwork for the inevitable when we see that she's not around anymore, because yesterday, their house went up for sale. We realized the last time we saw his wife was just before New Years. I don't expect to see her again.

It's a guy thing, I know. He doesn't want to have the world know he's hurting. He's going to tough it out on his own, and I'm not sure how to help, because I'm not even supposed to know there's a problem. I'm hoping he'll say something eventually. When he does, I know I'll still be challenged in finding a way to actually be of some help. That's a guy thing too. I'd like to try though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home