Wednesday, January 25, 2006

a brokeback moment

Don't shoot the homophobe messenger.

According to the morning show I was listening to on the way to work this morning, the term 'brokeback' is working it's way into the lexicon of our youth as a way of describing something either feminie or shakey. The examples given were...

"Hey Randy! That's one brokeback shirt. Did your mom pick it out?"

"Randy said he could get us backstage passes at the Yellowcard concert, but he told me how he plans to get them and it's pretty brokeback."

2 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Obviously, the people who are starting the 'brokeback' slang, haven't read the short story or seen the movie. These cowboys aren't feminine. They are 100% men, who happen to love each other and it's a love that's doomed.

Which come to think of it...most love affairs are doomed...but I'm off the subject.

Don't get me wrong...I find what you wrote humorous, mainly because it shows that people will hone in on what's popular and somehow find a way to make it fit in daily conversation...

Personally, I love your 'broke-butt' jokes.... now that's humor.

10:30 AM  
Blogger John said...

I think that's true of most slang. It contains maybe the slightest kernel of its origin and goes someplace completely of its own accord.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home