Thursday, January 19, 2006

a piece of history

I remember when I was a kid, my great aunt handed me a silver dollar. The date on it was 1870-something...1880-something. I don't remember and while I do still have it, I'm not digging out just to make sure I can put the right date in my blog. That isn't the point. The point is I thought it was very cool at the time and I still do. Someone told me it might be worth something someday, but it's a shame it's not uncirculated, because it'd be worth a lot more. I remember wondering....well, how the hell do you get your hands on one of those?

Well, this is how. Once you get there, you have to click on Buy Online and then Commemoratives. (I tried to link directly to the page, but apparently the Mint doesn't like me doing that.)

The U.S. Mint just put two silver dollars on sale that celebrate the tercentenary of Benjamin Franklin's birth. They don't ship 'till the end of April, but you can order them now. If you are interested, ordering them now is a good idea, because I don't think they'll be available for long. They cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 each. I'm not employed by the U.S. Mint or anything (although I was a gub'mint employee in my former life), but one day, I want to hand my grandson, or great niece or nephew or some young relative something of value they think is pretty neat...and this is my chance to get my hands on that something.

Just thought I'd pass it on if anyone else might be interested.

1 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

That's cool, John. I have a bunch of those, too, handed to me by my grandparents as "chanukah gelt" when I was a kid. They ARE where I can put my hands on them, but not where my kids can...who would immediately spend them and all the cool $2 bills and Susan B. Anthony dollars they've been given over the years (I've got them all put away)on junk.
Nice memory. Thanks for bringing it up for me.

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home