Wednesday, January 11, 2006

He's a dancin' machine

The question of the day. Which number is higher? Is it the number of career touchdown catches by Reggie Williams, or the number of joints found in his car by police the night before last? Yes folks, it would be the latter (2 to 1). Reggie got stopped after running a red light. The cops ran his license only to find it was suspended (because he forgot to pay a fine on a previous traffic violation). They had him step out of the car and smelled pot on him, so they asked if they could search the car. He consented...pretty much to adding a misdemeanor drug charge to his traffic troubles. Reggie is slated to star in an upcoming version of the Wiz for a Saint Augustine theatre group performing at the Limelight. An audition tape from his on field dance after blocking the right guy showed he has the moves. This week he proved he's ready for the scarecrow part, as long as he can remember all the words to "If I Only Had a Brain."

I guess we're getting started right away on that "What I did on my offseason vacation" essay.

What's the difference between Ricky Williams and Reggie Williams?

One's a strange agent who got caught by police with pot in his car and the other is a running back.

I mean, I understand being young and stupid. I was all that once. There comes a time though, when you have to evaluate your situation and figure out what means more to you. There are times when you have to let things go, and Reggie, this is one of them. When I hit flight school and learned I would be occasionally peeing in a bottle, there were activities in my past I realized I couldn't continue to do if I really wanted to fly, and I really wanted to fly. Those things went away, and in the long run, I think I'm better off for it. If you want to be a professional athlete and make millions of dollars, one of the things people expect is that you make pot (and any other illegal substance you may be ingesting) part of your past...and not your present. If you refuse, you are endangering your ability to be a professional athlete and make millions of dollars. Which is more important? Grow up, dude! For your sake, and the sake of your team, please grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home