Tuesday, January 10, 2006

my two cents

The US Postal service raised their rates as of yesterday...two cents. The cost of mailing a letter or bill went up slightly. This, in and of itself, is no big deal. I understand inflation, and web bill paying (which I've used a little, but I haven't gone whole hog that way) is cutting into their business and whatever. Fine. Two more cents to mail things.

What I don't get is how much of a hassle they make for it the increase to affect our daily lives. I have plenty of the old stamps left, and a two cent stamp is all I need to get by for now. They know this and print them, but not nearly enough of them. They also print "transitional" stamps that have no value printed on them. That started years ago, when they weren't ready for a price increase, so they printed something to use until they got their shit in a pile. Still, now, when I go to the little vending machine in the evening after work, those, and the two cent things, are sold out. Right now, I can't mail anything. Thank God I'm not in the middle of any postal emergency, where something needs to get out now.

Yes, I could have planned ahead and picked up stamps early, but I shouldn't have to. They're doing this thing. They should be able to handle what they're doing. I guess my attitude comes from the idea that....you're going to raise your rates. Don't you think you could learn anything from your past mistakes? Does the USPS do any kind of "lessons learned" activity after implementing one of these changes? Can they learn from their stupidity? Is there any good reason why, when the change happens, you don't have plenty of two cent stamps (or if you in fact have them, could you please refill the vending machine before you go home for the day), and you have new stamps that actually have the new amount on them, and lots of them? You've known about this for a long time. Could you prepare...just a little? Why is it that you have the attitude that, "it was good enough last time so let's just run with that." Can you people maybe rise above that same level of mediocrity? It wasn't good enough last time. It sucked last time and it's sucking now.

ps. as a side note, I love those vending machines and the dollar coins you get for change. For amusement afterwards, I like to go to Burger King, and use those coins. The look on Johnny and Susie High School Student's face when they try to figure out what to do with them is worth the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home