Monday, January 23, 2006

it never stops

I know it's time to blow the minds of you folks up north (well, maybe not all of you, but I know it works on my sister north of Philly, because I send her baseball practice pictures of kids in short sleeve shirts in January, and I get a reaction), but little league baseball begins anew. Yeah, I know, living in Florida where kids can play baseball in January is a cool thing...in January. Talk to me again in August, when it's hotter than hell and I always have one eye on the National Hurricane Center's website. Back to the point though, it feels like last season just ended. Maybe because it did, just over a month ago.

Tomorrow night is the youngster's first practice for spring ball. I don't know the whole schedule yet, but I assume we'll practice for about a month and the regular season will start. All I know is our practice schedule is Tuesday nights from 7:30 to 9:30 and Saturday mornings from 8:30 to10:30, and this season he'll be a Brave. The coach called this weekend and the wife took the call. All I got was a coach's name, the team name, and the practice times. I don't know why it is, but we always seem to get the early Saturday morning slot. Why can't some coach with the 10:30 to 12:30...or 12:30 to 2:30 slot pick him? Always, it seems, we're crawling out of bed early on Saturday to get to the field to practice. (By 'we', I mean me and the youngster. The wife ain't making that trip.) The good thing is the practice schedule only lasts a month, so it's only 4 or 5 grueling weeks. We also always seem to get the late weekday practice. Finishing at 9:30 on a school night isn't the best thing in the world, but we'll cope for a month. As for the coach, his name didn't ring a bell, but I know he's not Mr. look-a-me, and that's a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home