Wednesday, February 01, 2006

coach's li'l helper

Well, after the badge fiasco of last week, baseball practice started in earnest last night. One of our coaches showed up and 8 of the 11 boys. The others had other obligations or whatever, but it meant one coach was supervising the 8 we had. I let him go for the fielding part, but the batting cages are one place I feel I can help a little, so I did.

What I find strange is the lack of 'pitching in' by the other dads, standing around out there. I mean, some of those guys are dressed in sweats and talk like they know what to do and such, but they stand around with their arms folded..watching. I came straight from work. Dress pants, loafers, button down shirt, but I did take off the tie, and I'm in the batting cages. I'm probably also the least knowledgeable of the group, and not the greatest pitching prospect, but nobody else seems eager to step up to the plate...literally. I mean, these are our kids, and we could all help make them better. There was room for more help, so bored kids aren't just standing around waiting for their next turn.

I can see if you truly have nothing to offer. Let someone who knows what they're doing do whatever it is they do. Ignorance is a good excuse, because you don't want to be out there being more hinderance than help. I've been there and still am to some extent, but I can help some. I know....just enough to be dangerous, but if nobody else is jumping in, let's live dangerously.

The good part is, it looks like we have some talent. I'm not saying we're a team of all stars, but the Braves look like they'll be competitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home