Wednesday, July 19, 2006

the trip north

The trip north was great. First of all, by some stroke of luck or karma or whatever, the weather was fantastic. It was cool at night and not too hot or humid during the day and...gave my dad all kinds of ammunition for the "Why don't you move home?" argument. I reminded him that it wasn't like that in February. Nor was it always like that in July. In fact, listening to Mr. Weatherman on the news, it was apparent that even he was astonished at the nice weather streak and assured everyone that it wouldn't last. If his predictions held true, the heat and humidity returned as we were passing the Capitol Beltway on our way south.

The first day up there I got my coaster fix for the summer. We went to Hershey and had a great time. My brother and I rode most of the coasters and yes, waited to sit in the front row. Everyone else stuck to the milder rides and we joined them on some of those. Around 7:00 everyone mutually decided it was enough and we went home. Later in the week I played golf (badly of course) with my dad and my other brother and his wife (she who gave me the speech assignment). Again, didn't even break a sweat.

With the weekend came most of the other out-of-town folks for the 50th wedding anniversary celebration. It went off without a hitch, but mostly because the wife helped pull together a lot of last minute stuff nobody thought of. The speech thing went well. I didn't quite say it the way I wrote it, but nobody knew but me. Mom cried. The wife cried. My 7th grade teacher cried. The waitress pulled me aside and told me it was awesome. Mom asked me for the written version afterward, and I gave it to her.

The following Monday we went to Gettysburg and got some civil war education. This place is less than a half hour from the parents' house, and I had never been...until then. I was amazed. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I highly recommend the two hour driving tour. They say it's two hours, but we spent four and didn't finish all of it....but we did climb Big Roundtop.

I got to see an old friend who is now my parents' dentist...and yeah, the whole thing was just a nice break.

Then came the 13 hour stretch back home and the complaints about the truckster and its un-comfy ride, but whatever...it wasn't all that bad. We then spent the next week at home. We went to the water park on Jekyll Island one day, went to the movies one day, did some car shopping, but generally just enjoyed doing nothing...and it was...nice.

Now comes payback....and yeah, it is a bitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home