Friday, February 09, 2007

Hanoi Jane

I know this is last month's news, but something reminded me about it today and it raised my blood pressure a bit, so I'm throwing out my two cents.

Hanoi Jane speaks at an anti-war rally in Washington. Oh boy, there's some credibility. There is nobody who epitomizes the Hollywood left and all that's wrong with it for me, like Jane Fonda. Just like we as a country have selective memory about what the world was like when Saddam was the ruling voice in Iraq and how he enjoyed being a perceived threat to just about everybody, we also have forgotten about the deeds of this bimbo in her last antiwar splash. She really should have been locked up for treason 30-some years ago, or just banished. I know. I have talked with men who witnessed her crimes.

This is a woman who toured a POW camp in North Viet Nam and visited our young men. One, when she shook his hand, slipped her a note that he hoped would make it back home. The note just identified him and said he was alive, small details he knew weren't common knowledge for his family. She handed the note to the camp commander. She went on to her next photo op beside an North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. He got tortured. There's a patriot for you. If you're a Jane apologist, the best thing you can say about her is she was probably ignorant. I would agree. Not knowing what she was doing didn't stop her from loudly voicing her opinion though. Some things never change.

I've said before, I don't like this war. I don't know anyone who does. I don't think even Bush likes this war. But sometimes you have to do what's right and what keeps us free, and I still think this had to be done. I don't doubt it could have been done better. I know hindsight magnifies our errors. I still don't think it was completely avoidable. I also think Jane Fonda and Susan Sarandon (she was great in Rocky Horror) are pretty good artists, but horrible foreign policy advisors. I don't want to deny them their freedom of speech. I'd just like everyone else to exercise their right to consider the source.



Long ago parody quote in the National Lampoon letters column....
"I do so know the difference. My ass is deep, and dark and warm, and a hole in the ground is deep and....heeeeyyyyyy....wait a minute. Just....hang on. I know this one. I swear I do." Jane Fonda

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home