Friday, February 02, 2007

more than a scoop of ice cream

There is a bike tour here in town. They do it every September. It's a bicycle trip from Saint Augustine to Daytona on Saturday and back on Sunday. It's 150 miles round trip and benefits the MS society. Ever since we moved here, I've been telling myself I'm going to do this thing. I never have. When we moved here, I biked a lot and was in far better shape to do it than I am now, but it's not then anymore, and I have to deal with who I am now. If you told me then I was going to wait until I'm 50 to do it, I'd have told you you were crazy, and that if I did wait 'til I was 50, I'd have to be crazy too. I'm not 50, but I am crazy. I will be 50 before September, and I'll still be crazy.

In any case, we have a corporate team that rides in said bike tour. They raised x amount of dollars which entitled them to an ice cream social provided by the MS society, which they invited everyone to. I went, more to ask about the ride than for the ice cream, but I did have a scoop...chocolate chip with sprinkles. One of my friends is a co-captain of the team, and I got heavily recruited while I was asking about it. The company said they would raffle off 5 registration fees to new riders at the social, but only 3 new "prospects" (people who said they'd be willing to try it) showed up, and I was one of them. The three of us won by default, which is really about the only way I ever win anything. So, I'm now registered, and I guess I'll be riding in it. I have until September to get ready, but my current newfound gym regimen should help some. It gives me something to work toward as well. I now have a goal...to do something I've always wanted to do, even if I did wait 'til I'm 50 to do it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

Good for you, John. I will look forward, between now and then, and even after, to hearing about your prep for this and to cheer you on as you go for it!

10:24 AM  
Blogger John said...

I suppose working on this will become a subject for the blog. Don't say 'good for you' until I actually do something though. So far all I am is a good intention and while I've moved farther with it than ever before, I haven't actually done anything yet. I will though. I'll make myself, because I have to collect money from people as pledges (therefore the fund raising part), and not only will I owe it to myself, I'll owe it to them too.

2:48 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

Committing is half the battle, in my opinion. And this is something that sounds important...both personally, and to your community, so I say again (and will), "good for you."

-Jess

8:45 PM  
Blogger John said...

Point taken. I will do this thing, so...thank you :)

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home