Thursday, March 08, 2007

the Jaguars draft

Yeah, the draft is over a month away and I'm already obsessing. Keep the comments about my mental health to yourself. Nothing you can say will convince me I'm any more sick than I already know I am.

Every year I listen to the "experts" and I come up with, usually from the "expert" possibilities, the guy I think the Jaguars should take in the first round. So far I'm 1 for 12, and that one was the expansion year when they had the second overall pick. Every other year, the draft comes and the front office guys pick a player, and the vast majority of the time, it's nobody any of the experts mentioned. It's never my guy. It's someone I look at the tube (or listen to the radio if I'm out and about) and go "WHO??" Then I spend an hour or so on the internet finding out who this guy is and convincing myself that the coaches/scouts/front office people doing the picking really know what they're doing and I must have been crazy to want who I wanted. Of course, there was the year Larry Fitzgerald was on the board and the Jaguars picked Reggie Williams (I know...WHO??). Larry Fitzgerald is now lighting things up for a bad Arizona team, while Reggie Williams is still trying to string together sentences. I might have been right with that one, but time will tell. Matt Jones, I'm hoping eventually becomes more than a really tall guy who can run fast, as long as nobody touches him. I hope Marcedes Lewis actually sees noticable playing time...someday. Maybe then I'll see if he can play.

This year, so far, my guy is Reggie Nelson out of Florida. He makes sense to me on a whole lot of levels. Yeah, at the moment, the experts like him too, but consider he's a safety...and a very good one. The Jaguars, for whatever reason, let Deon Grant, last year's starter, go, so they need a safety. The knock on Nelson is he's suposedly not that great in run support, but our other safety, Donovin Darius, is. He's a great cover guy, which is one thing Darius doesn't do so well, so they compliment each other. Nelson played well last year. Despite the supposed knock for not stopping the run, he can hit and hit hard. He played well in front of a Jacksonville audience, since this place is bursting with obnoxious Gator fans. They already love this guy and would pay to watch him play on Sundays, so the move puts butts in seats, as well as filling a need. Maybe I'll change my mind in the next month, but right now I'm wondering why, since this is my guy, the Jaguars won't pick him, and how hard will it be to convince myself that whatever they do is a smarter move.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home