Monday, May 07, 2007

September keeps getting closer

Saturday - 35.6 miles! The wife is impressed, but not sure I'll be able to build up fast enough to do 150 miles by September. When I got back Saturday, she asked if I was sure I could do this. I'm sure. I have a whole lot of reasons for making sure I can, first among them are the people it'll help. Second is the people who are helping me help, and somewhere behind those are the two pounds I lost trying. I keep reminding myself that the long ride is really a series of 10-12 mile rides that you rest in between, where right now, I'm going 35 miles straight. That's supposed to make me feel better about it all. Once again I rode alone. The guy who said he wants to train with me bowed out Saturday morning, and said after doing so for the last three weeks, it's going to kill him to try to work up to 30 miles, but he is going to try to catch up. The problem is, while he's catching up, I'm moving forward. I have to. I have to be able to do the long ride come September.

The Kentucky Derby - I don't know jack about horse racing, but somehow I always manage to see this two minutes of television every year...and this year was no exception. Watching Street Sense go from way back in the pack to winning the thing was pretty cool.

Went to the gym last night and caught Roger Clemens on ESPN News announcing that he's a Yankee again. ..as George attempts to buy yet another championship. I really have nothing big against the Yankees....except this, and this makes me hate them. If they need someone, throw more money at them than anyone else can. This is everything that's wrong with Major League Baseball. Well, not everything. There's still that stupid DH rule (personal opinion only - Baseball players go to bat and play the field. If you don't do that, you're not a baseball player.), but this is a lot of what's wrong with Major League Baseball.

We did the youngster's birthday celebration this weekend, even though he doesn't turn 14 until Thursday. With tournament week and relatives coming, we thought we should get the birthday thing done first, and he wasn't objecting to getting some stuff early. He got his ripstik, and is already pretty good with it. He's carving turns all over the place with it and starting to try tricks. Surprise, surprise...after much youngster prodding, I tried riding the thing and can actually do it. I'm just not quite as comfortable as he is on it, and before you ask...no, there is no video available to prove I can do it. Don't hurt yourself trying to picture it any more than I did trying to ride it. I finally got the hang of it though.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home