Monday, June 18, 2007

modern technology and bikes

I have a beef. I'm sure the people who design traffic lights will get right on it, because they're all loyal lumberyard readers.

Traffic lights and bicycles don't mix. I suppose if I get off my bike and use crosswalks, it would work better, but I was trying to stay on the road and obey the rules there, leaving the crosswalks for pedestrians. This works great until you get to a traffic light, especially one where you want to turn left. They all have that thing under the pavement that senses when a car's there, so you get a left turn arrow...and in many cases, get a green light at all.

So I'm at a light, waiting to turn left. One of the things about going out early in the morning is there isn't much traffic, especially if you're on a side road waiting to turn onto a major thoroughfare. I'm sitting there, on the far right side of the left turn lane, and there are no cars next to or behind me...so the freaking light doesn't know I'm there. Cars come to the intersection from the side opposite me and suuuure..they get a light, but mine's still red. The major road gets it's turn, but I stand there...still waiting. I've been working on having a decent ass for months now, and nobody will drive up to check it out. I guess it still needs work. Finally I gave up and ran the light during a break in traffic, because I wasn't going to wait until someone decided to drive up behind me.

Maybe I don't really have a beef. Maybe I'm supposed to use the crosswalks. I don't think so, though. I just can't see one of those long lines of bicyclists using the crosswalk. I think I'm supposed to be on the road and following the same rules as cars. I need to brush up on my bike rules.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home