Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's OK that some people don't get it.

I went to the gym last night, and started on the elliptical machine, because someone else was on the stationary bike. That, more than anything, determines my routine for the evening. I take what's open. Usually between the elliptical machine, the stationary bike and the treadmill, I can get one of them. I don't really like the treadmill, so it's the last choice if I have to go there.

Anyway, I'm on the elliptical thing and this guy comes in and obviously wants to be on it. He watches me for a few minutes, looks at the display to see how long I've been there and finally asks how long I plan on being there....32 minutes. He does something else, and gets on when I get off.

After that, I rested a minute, had something to drink and started on the stationary bike (because it was free then)...another 32 minutes. Like I said, the treadmill is there if I can't get on anything else. Most of the way through that 32 minutes, the other guy gets off the elliptical machine and looks at me as he's about to leave.

Pointing at the machine he just left, he asks, "What, you didn't get enough over there?"

In my exhaustion, I explained (in short breaths, and short phrases) that I was training for the MS150, and that it was a two day bike ride..75 miles each way to Daytona and back.

He just looked at me, incredulously. "Why, when you can drive?"

OK, he's trying to be funny....probably. I realize it's not an everyday thing people do, and that's part of why I'm doing it. It's not about getting to Daytona. Sure, if I really want to go to Daytona, I could drive. I don't really care where the ride goes. It could end at the Days Inn in Lake City, or the amusement park in Valdosta for all I care (although yes, riding along the beach is more scenic than riding due west from here). It's about getting myself in good enough shape to do it. It's about the challenge of doing it. It's about finishing something really hard that takes a lot of preparation, and the satisfaction of success. More and more too, for me, it's getting to be about the cause. I'm learning more about that as well, as I get ready to do this thing. For the last 10 years I've had someone close to me, in a co-worker, who is dealing with MS, so I've known what he's going through. I've watched him go from effortless walking, to using a cane, to a wheelchair. This thing...this bike ride, though, has made me learn more about the MS Society, and what they do to make things livable for those with the disease, and what they're doing to find a cure. There really is hope out there, and I like being part of that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

Dude's an idiot.
;-)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

I think some people speak without actually thinking. I had a girl call me yesterday about our cheapest wedding package, which is an album that has 200 4x6 prints...and she promptly asked what did she have to do to get photographs put into the album instead of prints. I had to break it down into the simplest terms for her to understand that prints meant photographs.

And I don't think she ever really got it...

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home