Tuesday, April 29, 2008

speaking of reaches

Got this e-mail from the principal of the youngster's (aka. the woodpile's) school about a week ago. It was announcing the school's academic awards ceremony, to be held the 29th. It said it was an important thing. Dress up a bit if you're coming (shirt/tie or dressy dress) and RSVP.

I thought...email to all the parents...nice if your kid's the academic type...hit the delete button. I don't need to go into the youngster's academic history, but to say it's been a struggle would be an understatement...even now. He's doing much better since he hit high school, but we still have to ride him a bit. On to whatever else was in the e-mail bin...

OK, but then a few days later, he came home with an envelope. Inside the envelope was an invitation...that looked a lot like the e-mail I read..academic awards ceremony...important stuff...next Tuesday, the 29th...dress up...RSVP.

The wife asked him..."Did everyone get these?"
"No"
"Did Josh (his friend from grade school who is pretty damn smart) get one?"
"No. When he saw mine he said, 'So, you got one.'"
"So, does that mean you're getting an award?" (fragile - must be Italian)
"It means I've been nominated, but I don't know what for. One of my teachers must have nominated me for something."

So there we go...and hell yes, we're going. I'll be leaving work a bit early today to make sure I get there in time. The youngster...he who scraped by getting out of 8th grade and into high school...has been nominated for some academic award. I don't know what it is, and I don't expect him to actually get whatever it is. I'm just thrilled that someone picked him to possibly be recognized for something academic.

The work's paying off...and I'm a pretty proud dad. First the Katie Ride...which was no small feat, and now...even better.

So...thank God for the wife, who actually went through the youngster's closet and got out a shirt and tie, and made him try the stuff on. He's grown a bit since the last time he needed a shirt and tie, and both were way too small. That lead to an emergency trip to Kohl's last night for a new shirt and tie, so when he's fitting in with the smart kids, he'll look like it all fits.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Very cool! Good luck to the youngster! :)

8:43 AM  
Blogger JessieE said...

That's wonderful, John. And hey, no matter the outcome, it's an honor just to be nominated. My money's on the fact that some teacher recognizes the talent inherent in your kid. And maybe he's just grown up a bit, eh? It happens, I hear. :-)

Enjoy the feel-good.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home