Monday, May 12, 2008

the farmer tan

I've heard it called by several names. Some call it the golfer tan, but it's most popular name is the farmer tan. That's where you spend a fair amount of time outdoors, but you always have a shirt and pants or shorts on, so your arms and possibly your legs, as well as everything from the neck up, are tan. Your torso is pretty much pale. The tan you have is not the product of beach time, or poolside time. It's the product of doing things outdoors...fully clothed.

One thing I've never heard it called is a bike or cyclist tan....although, I'm right there and bike riding is the reason. I spend a couple of hours every weekend out in the sun, and everything not covered by bike shorts and a jersey is pretty much tan. Well, almost everything, and that's the surprise I got this weekend, and the subject of the day's musings.

I wear gloves when I ride, and along with my pale torso, comes pale hands. I hadn't really noticed. didn't notice at all, really..until this weekend when I went out to watch some of the Players golf tournament. Saturday afternoon I went out with a friend. We sat on the hill at 17 and watched a few groups play through. then we visited a tent and had a few beers. Then we spent about an hour or two in the stands around 18. When I got home, I realized I was burned in two places. One made perfect sense. Right above my knees was a bit pink from sitting in those stands all that time. (OK, that was just plain stupid.) Doh! The other...was the backs of my hands. Once I thought about it, that made sense too, but I can't remember that ever happening before. It's because of those gloves. I got in the shower after being at the tournament all day and YOW!

Now, understand that I didn't exactly lobster out. I wasn't completely irresponsible and stupid. I burned a little, but it will turn tan with the week, so it's not that big a deal. It was just a bit of a shock under the warm shower water when I reached for the soap and...ouch.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

This reminds me of something a good friend of mine told me last Sept. He rode a Harley all summer, wearing gloves with the fingers cut out. He said his fingers tanned brown but the backs of his hands were lily white. He didn't realize how awkward they looked until he was at Harris Teeter one day buying groceries and the checkout girl refused to take his money from him. She told him to put it on the counter. He said that when he was riding home, he realized she probably thought he had some kind of disease on his hands.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home