Monday, May 05, 2008

glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife

There's a commercial for the GoPhone on TV now that features Meat Loaf and a kid who looks a lot like him. I assume it's his son. The youngster loves the commercial, but knew absolutely nothing about Mr. Loaf, the Bat Out Of Hell Album or Paradise By the Dashboard Light, which is the song you get snippets of in the commercial.

Me...hell..I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday.

Yet, how do you explain the appeal of Meat Loaf to a 14 year old today? You got this very large, sweaty, unattractive, crazy looking dude who calls himself Meat Loaf. Then you try to explain the song. I mean, we're well past the gazinta talk, so sex isn't all that much of an issue anymore, but some parts of the song are classic and yet they have no relevance for today's 14 year old. I explained that it's a very long song...you only get a tiny taste on the commercial, and it's pretty funny. I explained the gist of the story. We watched the You Tube version. First he was sure it's not the same song...because it goes through several transitions. I ended up trying to explain the Phil Rizzuto/baseball segment and getting to first base, second base, being a little intentionally vague but getting the idea across and...stop right there, before you go any further. The whole base system, and its euphemisms, is apparently antiquated. I was just being confusing, and more humorous than I expected to be.

Still it was fun...going back and checking out a little Meat Loaf..and sharing a piece of my youth with a growing up youngster.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

I love that commerical too!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

I love meat loaf. Listened to it all through high school...ah, takes me back!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

PS- I heard a rumor he lives in the next town over from me too...Easton, CT?
Just a little tidbit.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home