Friday, May 02, 2008

sputtering out of the gate

Got an e-mail about a week ago from the captains of the bike team for this year's MS ride. They wanted to start training rides, and would hold the first one May 3rd...details to follow.

This week, another e-mail. We'll leave at 7:00 from the Jax Beach pier, go south about 15 miles, turn around and come home. Anyone planning to be there let us know, so we get a head count and know who to expect.

I jumped right on it. The youngster and I will be there. Should we bring anything...post ride refreshments, snacks, anything? I got an e-mail back last night. I'm the only one who responded. I can still go to the beach and ride with the captains, but if I'd rather save the gas and ride at home....that's OK too.

At first I was a bit surprised. I was the only one interested? These people are trying to help you get ready for the ride, and nobody's interested? Then I thought about it. It's the beginning of May. The MS Society has a kickoff ride to start people training, and it's not until the end of June. Maybe nobody's feeling the need quite yet. A lot of people don't start until August for a September ride, and end up paying the price, but they never really learn. Six months later, all they remember is...I didn't start training until August and I still finished.

I guess my story is different because I'm not training for one ride. I am, but I'm doing this for more than just that ride. I'm doing this for my health, and so I'll be around when the youngster brings his kids around the house. I'm doing it because I don't want to hear Mr. My Doctor using words like "diabetes" around me. I also honestly do it because I enjoy it. Just as honestly, I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't like it as much as I do. I've never been one to exercise just to exercise. I have to like what I'm doing.

Then there are the charity rides...like the MS Ride and the Katie Ride. I do those to help the cause as much as anything. There are plenty of rides around that go those same distances that don't involve fund raising, and I could do those. They don't give me the same sense of satisfaction though, as helping others while I'm doing something fun. I get a far bigger sense of accomplishment when I finish a really hard ride, and help people at the same time...so there's a selfish aspect. It makes me feel better about me. I'm not apologizing for that though. (Sometimes I think the word "selfish" gets a bad rap. Being selfish about some stuff isn't necessarily a bad thing.) I'm glad it makes me feel better about me. I want more people to feel better about themselves the same way, and maybe together we'll make this world a better place.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home